Fun Palaces Scotland
Fun Palaces Scotland is a collective of people and organisations passionate about the Fun Palace philosophy of culture for all and aiming to spread the campaign around Scotland.
For the 2015 weekend, we had 7 Fun Palaces in Scotland and these included a Curiosity Forest, Community Science Ceilidh, Kelpies in the Yard and even a Mad Hatter’s Tea Party. You can see our whole photo album of Edinburgh events courtesy of Chris Scott here.
This year we want to spread the word even further afield and get more people in Scotland involved and we have an online community facebook group welcome to everyone to join, ask questions and and generally say hello!
We are especially keen for individuals and organisations to host some “mini-Fun Palace” meetings across Scotland*
We have several Social Meetings coming up, a perfect chance to find out more, meet other folk involved and start planning! All events are free, and open to everyone to come along and get stuck in!
Edinburgh 14th Sept
Another social in central Edinburgh, this time themed on Gin & BunT’ing. There will be crafting sessions making Bunting for the October weekend, and gin available from the bar. Location is Safari Lounge, and it will be from 19.00 – follow the event here.
We also now have a Mailing List for Fun Palaces in Scotland – sign up here.
Details of Fun Palaces in Scotland coming soon!
BLOG: 31st of May, Lewis @fiddlebrain, Edinburgh
- One key focus of the Fun Palaces Scotland group is to increase the number of Fun Palaces across Scotland, outside of the central belt, though more open meetings. This can be facilitated by people who work/tour across Scotland.
- Hold regular “Mini-Fun Palaces” monthly meetings which will be hosted by different organisations in the build-up. These will begin with an activity tied to the main weekend (e.g. bunting making in July, piloting activities), followed by a short introduction to Fun Palaces for new people and then a planning meeting for the October weekend!
- We are looking for organisations/groups to host this – please get in touch if interested!
- Create a FAQ for the Fun Palaces campaign, asking some of the harder questions about why people should get involved – if people are already running community events, why make a Fun Palace? (our answer is that we form a larger network, and can bring new audiences and relationships to the work you’re doing!)
- Create a set of case studies from last year and the new relationships and benefits forged from the Fun Palaces 🙂
Indeed, we’re busy planning a set of Science Saturday events with a resident Scientist in a Edinburgh shopping centre (Ocean Terminal) which will start in July and lead to an extravaganza for Fun Palaces and the Scottish EU Researchers Night Explorathon! More info to be confirmed 😀
Thank you again to Voluntary Arts Week for their support, Gayfields Creative Spaces for hosting, and Chris Scott for the photos 🙂